Thursday, October 30, 2008

Thing #15: Web 2.0, Library 2.0, and the Future of Libraries

For this exercise I read several sections of OCLC's Next Space report, as outlined below:

Away from Icebergs:
Rick Anderson talks about the "just in case collection." While I agree that many of the items we collect that may have been harder to get in the past no longer are, there is still validity for some print resources. He mentions his library has had a 55% drop in circulation...well, mine has not; in fact, it has steadily increased. I think you need to take into consideration your population and what it is they want. He works for a university, so it's more likely that more people will be computer savvy, and will be more database and online-information inspired. My branch at the public library, however, is more interested in the hot DVD and latest fiction.

I wholeheartedly agree that we need to move away from expecting our library customers to know and learn research skills. We need to cut the barriers that prohibit our customers from getting the information they need. Why is a cookbook categorized with the subject term "cookery" instead of "cookbook?" It's crazy.

I also agree with Rick's last point that we need to give the customer what they want and where they want it. If they want to be able to download a book from home, we need to allow them to do that.


Into a New World of Librarianship
I love Michael Stephens. I subscribe to his blog and love to read what he has to say. I aspire to be the librarian he describes in this article. Even more, I hope there's a library out there that will recognize the Librarian 2.0 in me and embrace me and my ideas.

No comments: